OgilvyOne and OgilvyAction Launch Research-Driven White Paper
We set out to discover how the growing penetration of Smartphones influences the way people build brand preference and select, purchase and experience products. The findings form the basis of a new, research-driven white paper entitled, “From Armed to Charmed: Preparing for and profiting from the new mobile-enabled point of sale.” It provides recommendations for marketers and retailers to conduct winning mobile initiatives.
A consumer quantitative study was conducted in three representative international markets: the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore, and informed by in-depth, qualitative interviews with senior retailers, product marketers and mobile industry experts.
The report reveals some surprising insights – conclusions that go against conventional wisdom – and some thought starters to identify the opportunities ahead:
- Beware of overpromising the future: marketers must focus on preparing for the changing behavior of the Early Majority, rather than on trying to react to the cutting-edge actions of the Innovators
- Fear is the market killer: retailers need to look forward strategically, and not get mired in tactical reactions
- Mobile is the Third POS (point of sale): the Third POS is rife with simple new ways to gather information and compare prices. There is always hungry competition from other brands and retailers
- Charm the armed: brands and retailers should turn customers from “armed to charmed” by understanding what the unmet shopper needs are and addressing these by offering utility and transparency to build long term loyalty. This is called mCRM
- Shoppers are after more than just deals and discounts: the research showed that “better customer service” and “loyalty points” were the top two reasons that respondents had for “checking into” a retail store